Discussion Questions for The Queen’s Handmaid
Please be aware, the following questions contain plot spoilers.
- The story contains a wealth of historical anecdotes and facts. Did you enjoy learning some of the history of Cleopatra, Marc Antony, Octavian and Herod as you read? What were some new things you learned?
- Lydia struggles throughout the book with issues of identity, and feelings of worthlessness. Did you relate to her struggle? In what way?
- The story references the scrolls of Daniel mentioned in Daniel 12, which the angel told Daniel to seal up until the “time of the end.” Had you ever considered what this passage might mean? What did you think of the author’s speculation that these scrolls may still have been sealed hundreds of years later? Do you think it’s possible they still exist somewhere?
- This story spans the globe, taking in Egypt, Rome and Israel. What did you learn about any of these locations?
- In what ways do you feel the author’s travels through these countries and other ancient lands have informed her writing? Which of these locations would you most like to visit? Why?
- How did you feel about the relationship between Simon and Lydia, which took years to develop?
- With what character did you most identify? Why?
- The story did not end happily for all the characters. How did you feel about this? Did the ending leave you thinking about the coming of the Messiah not many years later?
- How did you feel about the author’s portrayal of spiritual darkness in the story? Do you believe that people like Salome may have been in touch with evil powers at this time in history? How about now?
- Lydia enjoys feeling needed by others in her life, but also learns that she can’t center her life around what others think. Is this a struggle in your life?